Hot dogs and cheeseburgers are just some of the distractions you may find at a BBQ. Plan ahead, do not count on their being healthy choices at the event, BRING YOUR OWN. Something easy would be putting some of your favorite vegetables, in a folded piece of tinfoil, along side some of the steak or chicken at the event.(EX: Green beans, bell peppers, onion, zucchini and squash. Prepare them as you please, drizzle with olive oil and pack it up.) No one would mind placing your bag of veggies on the grill.
5. Sweet Shredded Carrots (Pulled Pork) – “Matchstick” cut carrots stewed in your favorite no sugar BBQ sauce is a great alternative to pulled pork. The stewed consistency resembles pork in a way like you would not expect. Getting a sprouted grain bun, BBQ carrots, and a cabbage slaw with vinegar instead of mayo. DELICIOUS! Put thin cut carrots in a crock pot or pot, add NO-Sugar BBQ sauce and let it go for 20-30 minutes.
4. Chicken Apple Sausage Dog (Guilt free)– If You have a way and know how to create your own sausage, try these! Otherwise, grocery stores do sell healthier sausages. Try to avoid those pockets of sodium and who knows what. Chicken, apple, and pork sausage can be combined to get you your hot dog fix!
3. Salmon STEAKS– Any type of fish cooked over an open flame is hard to beat. The tinfoil packet full of vegetables would go great along side some grilled tuna, swordfish, tilapia or snapper. Try something new. Adding some onion, pepper, asparagus, garlic and any fish will go great.
2. KA-BOB it up– Strict vegetable Kabobs are great, but adding beef in between your peppers, squash, and zucchini will get you almost all your nutrients on one skewer. Great to prepare before a friends or your own event. Maybe make a couple vegetable options and a couple meat options.
- Grilled Fruit– Craving something sweet? Mangoes,peaches, watermelon, pineapple, and pears all can be grilled to hit your sweet tooth. Plus you might even motivate someone else to have a piece as well. Place each halved or cubed fruit on a skewer and bring it to the event. Carmelizing the natural sugars are just as delicious.